Saturday, March 15, 2008

sausage gravy over biscuits

Anytime a recipe calls for making a roux, or some kind of thickening agent, I'm so there. I love pouring liquid into a hot pan, swirling it around and waiting for it to thicken. This recipe is fun yet so simple, even I could make it. So I do.

Another reason why I enjoy making it at home rather than ordering it at a restaurant is because I haven't had b&g that ever really blew my mind. The first bite of my home-prepared b&g I taste salty buttery soft and moist with a slight crunch from the biscuit, and a thick sweet, creamy, slightly spicy meaty gravy. For all the times I've ordered biscuits, it's either dry hockey pucks, or really soggy and gooey. Not at mi casa!

Ingedients:
1 pkg Jimmy Dean Sausage Bold Flavors! or your favorite breakfast sausage (i don't know how much it weighs, sorry)
1 pkg Pillsbury Homestyle Buttermilk biscuits, or your favorite can of biscuits, if you think your fancy, make your own.
~1 1/2 cups milk (don't use fat free. What's the point of making this if your on a diet?)
~1 cup heavy cream (ok so I substituted the milk for the cream, you got me, I'm on a diet)
1 -2 tbsp flour (depends on how thick you like your gravy)
salt and pepper to taste

1.) Preheat you oven to desired temperature. Prepare your biscuits in the mean time and set aside. I lined my baking pan with foil because I don't like baked on grease, it drives my OCD nuts. Can you imagine how much foil I go through?

2.) Brown your sausage. This picture looks like a small amount, because I used half the package. I'm on a diet remember?3.) For some reason after I browned my meat, I wasn't happy with the drippings so I removed the sausage and added butter to the pan for fat and flour. I should've floured the sausage without removing from the pan since there's so much fat on the sausage. I get smart after I cook. While in the moment, I do crazy things. P.S. Did you remember to put the biscuits in the oven?
I think I wanted an excuse to stare at my roux. That pasty white stuff does miracles. Oh yeah, let it cook for a minute or two on medium heat... because Rachael Ray told me so.

The fun part began, and I had no camera man. Pour in the milk and cream while whisking. If you've never made gravy before, you're missing out on the fun. If you can't tell, the gravy is very very thin. I should've coated the back of a spoon and taken a picture. Anyway, let everything get acquainted slowly, on medium heat and it starts to slightly bubble. You're still whisking right? I never said stop whisking. whisk until it thickens.

Look at these beauties. Thank you Pillsbury for making my life easier. Hey! don't for get the gravy! Look at that. Thick enough for you? No? leave it on the stove for another minute or two, then let cool down. I find a lot of things I make gets thicker as it cools. Sometimes it hardens like cement.

Slice biscuits in half and pour on the gravy! Make sure it drips down and all over your biscuits. because it looks pretty.
Mr. G wanted to top it off with bacon... which is probably not a bad idea!

No comments: